Are you tired of the preset ringtones on your iPhone and want to go back to the old days of custom ringtones? We have you covered. Here’s how you can take any portion of a song and make it a ringtone for your iPhone, for free. This detailed step-by-step guide is all you need.
With iOS 14, setting a song as a ringtone on iPhone is easier than ever. However, it does take a bit of work.
To set a song as a ringtone, it must be saved in your Files app or it must be purchased and downloaded to your phone. You cannot use songs that you just recorded on Apple Music or other streaming services such as Spotify.
The easiest way to do this is to choose your favorite song and save it to files using an mp3 converter or purchase it from the iTunes Store. Next, you will need to loop this song in GarageBand and export it as a ringtone. Don’t worry, the process is pretty straightforward and we’ll walk you through the steps.
First, download the song you want and save it to your iPhone. Probably the easiest way to do this is to upload the song you want from YouTube and convert it to mp3.
Follow the steps below to set song as ringtone on iPhone.
How to set a song as your ringtone on iPhone:
1. Download Garageband
2. Open Garageband
3. Swipe to “AUDIO RECORDER” and select
Use “AUDIO RECORDER” to create your ringtone.
4. Tap the gray lines in the upper right hand corner
Tap the gray lines.
5. Tap the blue metronome in the upper middle of the screen
6. Tap the gray loop in the upper right hand corner
Tap the gray loop.
7. Find the song you want to use as your ringtone in “Files” or “Music” at the top of the screen
8. Hold down on the song and drag it into the workspace
7. Tap the small gray plus arrow in the upper right hand corner
Tap the plus sign.
8. Change the section length from eight to thirty
You want your section length to be thirty seconds because that is the length of a ringtone.
9. Hold down on the song and tap “Trim” to customize the thirty seconds of the song you want to be your ringtone
After selecting “Trim,” drag the audio around to get your desired section.
10. Tap the gray arrow in the upper left hand corner and select “My Songs”
When your ringtone is ready to be exported, select the gray arrow.
11. To rename your song double tap it
12. Hold down on your song and select “Share”
13. Select “Ringtone”
14. Tap “Continue”
15. Select “Export”
16. Tap the option you want the ringtone to be and select “Done”
Choose which kind of ringtone you want.
Watch: How to Set ANY Song as RINGTONE on iPhone (No Computer)
Set your new ringtone
Now that the new tone is on your phone, all you need to do set it as your ringtone.
To do this, open the Settings app on your iPhone, then tap Sounds (also called Sounds & Haptics), then Ringtone.
Your custom tones will appear at the top of the list, above the default Ringtones. Just tap on one to make it your ringtone.
The fun doesn’t stop there, as you can use your custom tones for other things such as text message alerts – or anything else.